Sunday, January 3, 2010

Plainfield First

Below is a copy of my speech given at the 2010 Plainfield City Council Reorganization Meeting. I am looking forward to leading the 2010 Council. Past President Burney set us on the right path and now it is up to me to ensure the Council is bringing about positive change. Later this week I will post information on the overarching goals for this year.

Best,
Annie


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Afternoon.

Friends, Family and Supporters - Happy New Year!

I must first thank God who has ushered us safely into a new decade and who continues to watch over our City.

I must also thank my family - Mom, Allie, Albert III, Adam and Avery. Your never-ending love and support encourage me. You are my strength.

To our newly elected Councilwoman Rivers and re-elected Mayor Robinson-Briggs - Congratulations. I look forward to working closely with both of you.

To my colleagues on the Council. Thank you for your unanimous support. I am deeply honored to be your choice for Council President. In our personal conversations, we have often discussed what a better Plainfield looks like. I am ready to lead us toward that brighter future.

And to the residents of Plainfield, thank you for your continued support. My commitment to bringing positive change to this community has never wavered and is stronger than ever.

As I reflect on the people and places that encompass our City - our senior citizens and youth, young couples and families, residents of all backgrounds, orientation and colors, our places of worship, schools, community centers, parks and plazas, I am encouraged. Plainfield is much more than just streets and boundaries. Plainfield is a community unlike any other. Our history, diversity and potential will overcome any challenge if City leadership continues to put the needs of our residents first.

For many years my parents hosted functions at our family home. For one particular event, the words “Plainfield First” were framed and used as part of a table centerpiece. The frame was used at several events and was never far out of sight. Even now, the frame is still kept at the house, usually placed among family photos or on a bookshelf. Although today, I brought it with me.

These words, “Plainfield First”, are particularly meaningful at this point in time. The challenges that we face are many. With a looming tax burden, slow economic development, concerns about local medical attention and safety in our neighborhoods it is easy to despair. I am confident that that there are reasonable and actionable solutions. We only need to work with a united approach and focus on the issues.

I promise strong leadership balanced with thoughtful decision-making and with an eye towards unity. In 2010 we must make Plainfield first.

.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally! I was giving up all hope with you. Now please keep it going. You constituants want to hear from you, regularly... not 3 months later. Good to see you! A fan!

Jim Pivnichny said...

Annie,
I wish to include myself among the many who wish you well in this endeavor and who are looking forward to good things happening. Your bottom line is so obvious, yet so powerful. Plainfield First!
Jim

Rob said...

I like those words " Plainfield First"... it's too bad Mayor Jerry and Assistant Mayor Sharon don't like the words as much as you or I.
Good Luck..and do us proud!

Ari said...

Congrats! Looking forward to your leadership. Your acknowledgment of all the people who make up this city is refreshing. I am tired of hearing people discount those of us who weren't born here, but chose to make this place our home. It's time to realize that putting all of Plainfield's residents first is paramount to the success of this city!