Monday, January 12, 2009

Spending Wisely: Ensuring Value for Taxpayers

I want to ensure that you receive the best services possible at the lowest cost possible. I hate to be Dr. Doom, but the reality is that we are in very difficult financial times and we need to carefully consider how we are spending your money.

Even the kindest forecasts by financial analysts and market gurus suggest that this recession will last through most of 2009. Uglier economic predications suggest that the recession will last through 2011. The unemployment rate, already 7.2% in December, may still increase. The values of homes, down about 25% nationally, may still decrease. Financially, many Americans are already struggling and times may become even more difficult. Citizens are looking to their elected officials to help save money.

I was elected to understand how the City is spending money and to vote on these matters wisely. This is why I voted to table the resolutions giving city-owned cars to several City officials at the January 1 meeting. The Council and I needed more information on these expenditures. What is the cost to the taxpayers? What is the value? Is this expense necessary? Is having a city-owned car a perk or an important piece of an overall compensation package? Will denying a city-owned vehicle to these officials jeopardize the safety or well-being of any resident? These questions must be answered before the Council can make a wise decision. In the meantime, these officials still have access to their cars as I voted to grant temporary use.

I will continue to ask these types of questions and research answers throughout the year so that I vote wisely. I hope that the residents of Plainfield, my colleagues on the Council and the administration will support thoughtful decision-making.

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to see such a smart person on the Council. Unfortunately, I think City Councils in towns with a low-economic population love City Councils without smart leadership.

Another question to ask is how much money is wasted in City departments like Public Safety, etc. What do they spend there money on and is it necessary? Are they spending money on the right things? How are outside vendors chosen?

Anonymous said...

I understand the need to study the issue of city vehicles being granted to city officials, but, come on, how long is it going to take to study this issue? In the meantime, taxpayers are still paying for it! Why is everything done in slow motion at the council and city hall level? It's ridiculous.

You don't need to tell me things are going to be bad in 2009. I already know that! and how come my property taxes are raised along with my PMUA costs? Now, they want to decrease services to keep the costs down?