Sunday, November 9, 2008

A New Chapter in American History


Election night was one of the few nights I’ve heard my grandmother, so overwhelmed with emotion, cry the way she did. During our “Can you believe he just won?” phone conversation, I could barely understand my grandmother. She was sobbing tears of joy and disbelief. She recalled the hardships of growing up in Jim Crow South, raising children who would integrate the Arkansas school system and making the world’s best dinners for her grandchildren and their very diverse group of friends. She had already seen so much change already, but to see President-elect Obama and the new First Family stand victoriously on stage was not something that she expected to see in her lifetime.

This moment in time is a new chapter in America’s story. When my kids study Modern American History, they will ask me where I was and what I was doing when President Obama won the 2008 election. I will happily tell them that I was celebrating with family and friends in Plainfield, NJ where we were overwhelmingly pro-Obama and voted for change in our city.

Thank you to all the voters who supported me in this election and to all the voters who supported Obama. I look forward to bringing change to Plainfield just as Obama will bring change to our nation.

.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And we are so looking forward to having you on the council and bring a bright and fresh perspective to Plainfield.

My deepest hope is that more youg Plainfield residents will step up to the plate and follow your lead in being an active member of Plainfield. Would love to see some of them opening businesses downtown.